See photos of the stages above.
1. Make a hole in the lids for pouring. (This can get a bit sticky so do it by the sink.) Remove the lids from the sauce and sprinkle tubs. Cut away about 3 notches (5cm) in a triangular shape then put back securely on the tub.
2. Preferably use an ice cream scoop. Put the scoop in a jug of warm water after every scoop, this helps to release the ice cream off the scoop.
3. Take out one tub of ice cream from the freezer at a time. Place it on a bag of frozen peas or something similar. This will help to stop the ice cream from going too soft too quickly.
4. Pour some sauce into the bottom of the container.
5. Cover the sauce with ice cream.
6. Pour another sauce around, from about a third of the height of the container.
7. Cover the sauce with ice cream.
8. Pour another sauce around the rest of the container.
9. Cover the sauce with ice cream.
9A. Optional. Make the Knickerboker glorys in advance of the party. Put on lid and place in freezer. Take out when required then add stage 10.
10. Put a scoop of ice cream on top. Cover with sauce and sprinkles. Add a flake and wafer curl.
a little tune to get you into the ice cream mood (Knickerbocker holiday)